Friday, October 2, 2015

Repairing Your Own Credit After Bankruptcy


After bankruptcy, any debt that was discharged should be listed on your credit report with a zero balance and a note that the “debt was included in bankruptcy.”  Very often that is not the case resulting in a credit score which is lower than it should be.

This fix is relatively simple and can be done by yourself for minimal or no cost at all.

The three national credit agencies are required to provide you with a free credit report once every 12 months.  You can go to  or call 1-877-322-8228, to get these reports.  If you see this mistake on your credit report the first step is to alert the credit reporting company either online or by mail, of any item of information that you believe is incorrect.   

Each credit reporting company website has a link with instructions of how to dispute an inaccurate item online.  Typically, all you need is your case number, bankruptcy chapter and filing date.  This information is located on the Notice of Case Filing you received from the Court.

If you are contacting them by mail, include copies of your bankruptcy schedules and discharge notice to support your claim.  We suggest you include a copy of your credit report; highlight or circle each item you are questioning.  Explain why you are disputing the information and ask that it be removed or corrected.  Keep copies of all the correspondence you send the credit reporting agency.  Also be sure to send everything certified mail with a return receipt so you can be sure your information was received.   Be sure to keep a file with copies of everything you send to the credit reporting company.

The credit reporting agency has 30 days to investigate your dispute(s).  Once the agency has finished their investigation, they will give you the results in writing. 

If a creditor disagrees with any objection and states that they have a valid debt, it is very likely they are violating the bankruptcy discharge and may be subject to court sanctions.  Please contact us IMMEDIATELY if that is the case.

Segaul Law Firm
300 South Pine Island Road, Suite 304
Plantation, FL 33324

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.